“Respect your natural lashes and the health of your eyes. You will be able to wear beautiful eyelash extensions for years without having to remove them or “take a break”. Yes, it’s possible!”
-The Total Extensions Team
MYTH AND REALITY
How often do we hear our clients say, “I’m afraid to clean my eyelashes, I do not want them to fall!!?
Know that this belief is wrong. In fact, it’s the opposite.
If you do not clean your lashes, you will lose them fast anyway.
MORE BEAUTIFUL LASHES
Eyelashes that are never or rarely cleaned become visibly dusty, stuck, tangled, or even uncomfortable to look at.
If you clean them regularly, not only will they be definitely more beautiful, but they will also last a lot longer.
As a bonus, and this is the most important, the overall health of your eyes will be greatly improved.
As surprising as it may seem, those with poor eyelash hygiene are more likely to suffer from eye infections, allergies, irritations, itching or redness.
Who does not want a better comfort, including those who do not wear extensions?
Our skin secretes what is called sebum. Sebum is a fatty/oily substance.
If you wear eyelash extensions, you probably know that oil is one of the worst things to avoid, since it causes a premature drop of the extensions.
Cleaning helps to remove sebum.
BACTERIA & INFECTIONS
Did you know that microorganisms live permanently all over your body, including on your eyelashes?
There are several eye infections that can be caused by a lack of hygiene. Blepharitis, conjunctivitis, trachoma, keratitis, corneal ulcers, stye and chalazion are some of them.
Normally, as part of a healthy lifestyle, microorganisms are mostly harmless. However, when hygiene decreases, their number may increase. Too much microorganism can cause harm.
The resulting damage may be mild, such as premature and excessive loss of eyelashes or an increase in eye sensitivity and/or reactivity, which is more serious, such as eye infections with varying degrees of severity.
IMPORTANT: An untreated infection quickly could cause serious and irreversible damage to the eye, such as blindness (blindness). Those who carry eyelash extensions and contact lenses are at greater risk of contracting eye infections. Good hygiene is a great way to prevent them.
EYELASH EXTENSION TECHNICIANS
As a professional in eyelash extensions, it is your job to educate your clients on the importance of good hygiene on their eyelashes and their eyes.
You benefit yourself, with easier work: Your sets will be faster, your clients will be more satisfied, and they will keep healthy eyes and lashes thanks to you!
THE GOOD CLEANSER
All cleansers are not compatible with eyelash extensions. Your cleanser must not contain oil, glycols, alcohol, it must have a PH balanced for extensions, it must be soft, non-irritating while being effective enough to remove oil, dirt, residues, dust and … bacteria! 😉
If you are an eyelash extension technician, you should never let a client leave without being sure that she has a good cleanser. Ideally, you should have some in stock to offer to your clients if they do not have it at home. This is not about selling products to sell products, it’s a basic service that respects your customers.
“Why take unnecessary risks with one of the most valuable organs in the whole body … your client’s eyes!”
– Lysanne Bourgon
MAKE-UP REMOVER VS CLEANSER
Cleansers that have been designed for eyelash extensions are sometimes called “Lash Shampoos”.
This means that they clean the eyelashes, but not necessarily that they have the ability to remove makeup.
Some shampoos for eyelash extensions can also be used as make-up removers.
Others can even be used as cleansers and makeup removers for the face.
TOTAL EXTENSION FOAMING CLEANSER FOR EYELASH EXTENSIONS
This is the case of our Foaming Cleanser for eyelash extensions: it cleans the lashes in depth and eliminates at the same time all your face and eyes makeup.
It is mild enough for sensitive skin, does not dry out dehydrated skin, and contains no parabens, oil, glycol, alcohol, gluten, perfume or sulfate.
Its formula contains provitamin B5 to strengthen eyelashes.
In addition, its PH is perfectly balanced for eyelash extensions, it is made in Canada by a laboratory specialized in cosmetics, is not tested on animals and contains no animal products.
“HOMEMADE EYELASH EXTENSION SHAMPOO”
Beware of “homemade” recipes available on the Internet, as they are not always compatible with eyelash extensions. For example, the famous recipe including baby shampoo and baking soda has a pH much too alkaline. It can completely unbalance the eyes PH and cause irritation.
The eyes are precious. Making a product yourself is very risky.
Bacteria can be easily found in the product, which will harm rather than help.
Laboratories specializing in the manufacture of cosmetics have a rigorous manufacturing method, perfectly sterilized equipment, and an ultra-hygienic controlled environment.
Why take unnecessary risks with one of the most valuable organs in your body: the EYES!
RECOMMENDED CARE FOR YOUR EXTENSIONS
- AT LEAST
- Every day: you should rinse your eyelashes in clean water and then brush once dry with a disposable mascara brush.
- At least 3-4 times a week: use a cleanser designed for eyelash extensions and apply it to the eyelashes gently, without rubbing. If desired, you can use a synthetic hair brush, a sponge applicator or a flocked applicator to better dislodge dirt, gently sweeping down, always keeping your eyes closed.
- Leave for a few seconds, then rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Avoid using washcloths, cotton pucks, cotton wool or cotton swabs, as they can leave fibers in the eyelashes that are difficult to remove without tearing out some lashes in the process.
- Never pull or rub the eyelashes, especially when they are still wet, therefore more fragile. Ideally, let them air dry.
- If you are in a hurry, you can use a mini fan or in the worst case, a hair dryer set to COLD AIR and MINIMUM intensity.
- Keep your eyes closed if you dry your eyelashes otherwise than by itself.
- Once the lashes are dry and only when they are dry, brush them gently with a disposable mascara brush.
- Do not brush too close to the lash root, where the glue points connect the extensions to the natural eyelashes so that you don’t tear off the extensions or your natural eyelashes prematurely.
- If desired, to prolong the life of your extensions, you can apply a sealer, protector or conditioner designed for eyelash extensions. This type of product usually helps to protect eyelashes and extensions from moisture and residue.
- If your natural lashes seem thin, weak, sparse, lacking density, strength or worse, you have a lot of bald spots, use our TOTAL SERUM, an Eyelash Serum: in a few weeks, your eyelashes will be stronger, more vigorous and longer, allowing you to wear all the desired extensions. In addition, they will last longer and will be more visible, since the base will be healthier! A must!
- If you want to wear makeup, avoid at all cost waterproof mascaras, pencils and eyeliners.
- Check if your eye makeup products contain oil. If this is the case, do not use them. They will drop your extensions much faster.
- There are so many oils and fats, you have to know them and identify them in the list of ingredients indicated on the box of a product. When in doubt, ask a professional for advice.
“We are here to help you. Do not hesitate to contact us with any question or comment, it will always be a pleasure to inform you!”
– The Total Extensions Team